Friday, October 17, 2008

Catalyst and My Ironic Resistance to Change


C
atalyst...

That's a strange word, isn't it? It just looks funny to me. I'm not a fan of words that "look funny." It's this strange obsessive-compulsive thing I have going on with some (not all) things. One of those hang-ups is with words...they have to "look right." It makes me physically uncomfortable to look at strange-looking words. Weird, I know, but it's one of the many "oddities" I possess. Even with this silly hang-up, this is the very word that God has been speaking to me over the past couple of weeks, and I'm really beginning to like it.

Here are the definitions I found for the funny-looking word "catalyst":
1. Chemistry. a substance that causes or accelerates a chemical reaction without itself being affected.
2. something that causes activity between two or more persons or forces without itself being affected.
3. a person or thing that causes a reaction and precipitates change.
4. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic. 

Sadly, we have only been fortunate enough to go to the Catalyst East conference in Atlanta back in 2004. This was during the same time that my husband dyed his blonde hair hot pink because our students had won a challenge he posed to them. We enjoyed laughing at all of the strange looks he received during that trip. But I digress...

I was checking out the website again today because we are thinking about going to the Catalyst West conference in Cali. Because God has been speaking this word to me over the past few weeks, I felt prompted to click "What is Catalyst?" on the website. Here's what it said: "Catalyst is here: a conference that inspires next generation church leaders to be agents of change."

WITH THIS ONE FUNNY-LOOKING WORD, THIS IS WHAT GOD HAS BEEN SPEAKING TO ME!!! Through all of my ironic resistance to change, God is calling us to BE the agents of change where he has now placed us! Do I want to be in the new place? I think you already know my answer. Not too thrilled about it. But my husband and I can now impart and implement what we have learned from the awesome place we were in order to be the agents of change where we have now been placed. God's bottom-line desire is for people to know Him. How can they even come close to knowing Him if they view the church as being irrelevant to today's generation and stay away at all costs? 

We still have many questions, but our purpose is now becoming clearer...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great Post!!! As I read this a couple of things happened 1. It brought tears to my eyes and 2. It shot shock waves of encouragement down my spine. God has us here for such a time as this...

Anonymous said...

PLEASE go to catalyst west next year. I bet you can find two pretty cool people to stay with for FREE. we'll even watch the kid for free too :) (it might be a little tight in our doublewide if you don't mind that!)

Dorynda said...

i had no idea you blogged. i'm looking forward to keeping up with it. and please keep us updated on you guys....what IS the next step? i'm anxious to hear about your changes....

RosyRose said...

hey I just happened on your blog...I think it was for a purpose. My heart breaks for those who have been wounded in ministry! I am a pk and now a pastors wife as well. I read your pain and I want you to know I have paused to pray for you and your family right now!
I know God is going to bring you to a spacious place. You are loved by him always even when you feel rejected by man.
When I watch my children hurt each other it breaks my heart...how much more do we break His heart with our unkind words and actions to each other! May God give you what you need today! Rose